The attitude of countries and states towards gambling is quite varied across the globe. There are countries that allow gambling with very little restriction. There are others that have allowed for controlled gambling with laws that allow for some form of gaming although they come with quite a number of restrictions. There is also a third group that has banned gambling in its countries completely. Belgium falls in the first category. While so many European states have strict laws on gambling, and many others have banned the practice completely, Belgium has been an exception to the rule, with it allowing gambling to take place in its soils legally.
Belgium did not have any gambling laws until 1999 when the laws on gambling were brought up through the first Gambling and Betting Act that was brought before the country’s legislature. The law regulated land-based gambling and gave strict laws include the minimum age that a punter must be before they could gamble. The legislature, however, did you touch on the online gambling front and the industry was left to govern itself until 2010 when the Gambling and Betting Act was amended to include that of online gambling.
Online Casinos in Belgium
There are hundreds of online casinos that are allowed to operate in Belgium. Once a gambling establishment is licensed by the Belgium Gambling Commission, it is left to run its course with not that much supervision. There is a certain peculiarity with the licensing process in Belgium because the law allows for only those who have established land-based casinos in Belgium to operate online casinos. Still, there are many casinos that have managed to set up even without a land-based house to fall back on.
Since the casinos that operate in Belgium are mostly all casinos that are registered with International gambling bodies, and other by the Belgium Gambling Commission, one is always left wondering exactly which of these European casinos would work for them. Well, while they all can, it is vital that a player choose wisely which gaming den will best serve their interests. Some casinos are free to operate but have a bad reputation and may end up leaving you disappointed, and maybe defraud you of your money. While checking for the licensing of a casino is key in ensuring that you are playing at an establishment that is honest, there are other factors that you as a player has to look into to ensure that you are receiving the very best services a house can offer.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Casino
- Safety and FairnessThere is so much at risk when a punter signs up to play at an online casino. The safety of the players, their money, and the house’s provability. A house that is licensed will give a player some level of confidence because they are regulated by a body that could easily strip them of their license to practice. Checking for whether it is regulated is the first step towards avoiding casinos that will disappoint you.Besides your safety as a player, a gaming house must have measures in place to ensure that the information belonging to a client, both personal and banking, is protected from hackers and possible misuse by ill-intentioned people. The casino needs to also be fair and not one that steals from its clients. They should have Random Number Generation systems working for all its games. Allowing for external audits every often goes a long way in instilling confidence in its clients.
- VarietyWhen players sign up at a casino, they prefer that it offers variety as far as the games are concerned. Even when playing your favorite slot or table game, you may grow bored and want to explore other options. When a casino offers a variety of slots in their variations – from 3- reel fruit machines, to video slots and progressive slots with huge jackpots -, table games, scratch cards, and other gaming options. Variety of games means that the player need not register into a different casino every time they are bored of the game they are playing in their current house.Besides wanting a variety of games, some players have certain preferences to different software developers. Having more than one developer in one casino also means that you get to experience the unique features that come with each developer. There will be variation in the features, bonus offers, graphics, and themes. A casino can have developers that include the more famous Playtech, Microgaming, and NetEnt, to the newer players include Yggdrasil and Saucify. Also, get to enjoy live gaming courtesy of software that allows for real-time gaming
- ConveniencePunters will often sign up in a casino that offers what they can use and in a timely manner. A casino needs to be convenient to use with the Terms and Conditions properly explained, and the gaming interfaces easy to manipulate. If a house is available on mobile, that offers it more clients because players prefer playing at any place, and at any time. A mobile or tablet is portable, and this offers them the convenience of playing their favorite games whenever they need to.Banking also needs to be convenient. Players will sign up at casinos that have their preferred methods of depositing and withdrawing as possible banking options. The more partnerships a casino has with banks, and other financial institutions, the better they are to clients. The more diverse the language the house uses as well as the currency that can be used by players at the casino, the better.
Other important factors include the payout time, their deposit bonus, and other bonus rounds offered by the casino.
Belgium Online Gambling Blacklist
While the laws are not very strict and people get an opportunity to play at many casinos, there are some that have been blacklisted by the Belgian government for failing to comply with the laws of the land or have been discovered to be unfair, and stealing from players. It is imperative that players ensure that they do not play at those casinos.
Land-based casinos are offered to Belgian players. There are nine licensed casinos found in Belgium. These casinos are spread across the country. The law allows for 21-year-olds and above into the land-based establishments. The law dictates that for a player to be admitted into the casino, they must present an ID with their photo on it or their passports if they are visiting. The casinos have different dress codes that must be adhered to. Strictly.
The land-based casinos are:
- Grand Casino de Namur
- Brussels (Viage Casino)
- Napoleon Games Grand Casino Knokke
- Blankenberge Casino Middelkerke
- Casino Middelkerke
- Casino Oostende Kursaal
- Casino de Dinant
- Casino de Spa
- Grand Casino of Chaudfontaine-Liège
Gambling in Belgium seems like a great idea that is not about to go away. This makes for a great entertainment option while in the country. However, it is important to comply with the laws and orders of the land to avoid trouble with the Belgian authorities.