Some things may be old, but not necessarily completely outdated and worthless. Antiques and retro-style designs or interiors being still valued in our hi-tech world are the best examples of people believing there’s more to things than just functionality. Classic slots listed here well deserve the privilege of becoming respected and honoured members of the slot community.
While the original electromechanical slot machines with three rotating drums and a lever to pull had a limited term of operation, the online versions of the old-style games make them a timeless classic, while their functionality and performance have been only improved and enhanced. So, you can just imagine an old-fashioned one-armed bandit smiling and saying a legendary “I’ll be back”.
The traditional fruit, bar, bell, lucky 7 symbols seem to have a unique nostalgic charm about them, while the 3-reel, 1-payline game appeals not only to conservative players. Classic fruit machines online are easy to play, their winning combinations and payouts are easy to remember, so you don’t have to check the paytable or the rules again and again. Some of the modern versions of such games have a bonus round, a wild symbol or a progressive jackpot. Some of the listed below also have a free play mode.
Classic slots remain one of the most popular casino games – both online and on land – because they are easy to play, especially to play for an extended period of time. They require minimal skill and give players the opportunity to win big jackpots.
Classic Slots – What Are They?
Classic slot machines feature 3 reels and one payline. They include a set number of symbols, which players need to match up three times across the single pay-line in order to win. They are lauded by many gamers due to their simplicity and beautiful, clean interface, which allow you to play for extended periods of time without unnecessary mental fatigue. You can play classic slot machine games at the most popular local casinos, or you can play online classic slots.
Classic Slot Machines – a Brief History
The precursor to the classic slots machine was the mechanical poker machine, which consisted of five reels rather than the three we are familiar with today. Whilst this dates back to games manufacturers Pittman and Sitt in the 1800s, the first classic slot machine was invented by Charles Fey in the late 1800s. It was known as the Liberty Bell. In 1907, the first classic slot machine featuring the classic fruit symbols we are all familiar with was created by Herbert Mills. The rest, as they say, is history, with classic slots spreading to casinos all around the world, including the UK, where they remain very popular.
Today, classic slot machines are sometimes referred to as fruit slots, due to the commonly used fruit symbols which players need to try and match. Classic slots are enjoyed all around the world and are a staple both online and on land. For simplicity, familiarity and grind-ability, classic slots are simply the best!
What Is the Difference Between Classic Slots and Video Slots?
The differences between the two are minor and relate mostly to the simplicity of the classic slot model. Given that real life and online classic slots usually only incorporate three reels and one pay-line, the casino (whether online or land-based) usually requires that the maximum bet to be placed before access is granted to the jackpot. This is less of an issue with video slots, where multiple symbols and multiple payout lines are used, thereafter, multiplied by the number of coins bet. Thus, gambling with the maximum number of coins on a classic slot machine is vital to ensure that you are given the best chance of winning.
Slotozilla offers a wide selection of online classic slots, with a variety of styles and themes to suit any enthusiast. Slotozilla Classic Slots requires no downloads, no first deposit, and no invasive sign ups!
Winning with Classic Slots
Whilst most classic slots follow the same formula of three reels and one pay-line, there are always differences between them to keep the gaming experience interesting. Each classic slot may come with its own set of symbols, winning combinations and even side games. Let’s look at some of the differences in more detail:
- Classic fruit slot with fixed jackpot: Played with the classic formula of 3 reels and one payline, the classic slot with fixed jackpot comes with more strategy than its name implies. The strategy, though, is in your bet size. These machines usually allow for between one and nine minimum bets per spin, with the size of your winnings increasing in line with the size of your bet. The set jackpot is usually only accessible by playing the machine maximum. Whilst it may be tempting to bet the maximum each time, it can be more lucrative to merely play for the smaller payouts, when using real money.
- Classic slots with bonus awards: This type of classic slot is a little out-fashioned and not seen as regularly. Similarly to the fixed jackpot option, the game features three reels and one pay-line, with varying betting sizes. Betting the machine maximum doesn’t get players access to a jackpot, but to extra features in the form of free spins, wild symbols etc. The variances in betting sizes are usually smaller than with fixed jackpot options.
- WASPS (four reels): Whilst classic slots usually feature three reels, Wide Area Progressive Slots usually feature four reels. The rules are more or less the same, apart from the additional reel needed for matching. The big difference is that a percentage of your bet goes into the jackpot, which is won when hitting the appropriate symbols and betting the requisite bet.
- Accumulator Bonus Classic Slots: Whilst the general gameplay rules remain the same, these slots place an emphasis on when the player chooses to play. Symbols hit over a period of time form part of a “bank,” and players are paid out when a certain number of symbols in this “bank” are reached.
- Bonus Games: Whilst this is more common with Video Slots, some Classic Slots do come with the chance of hitting bonus games when a certain number of symbols are present. What the bonus games are will depend on the game, but they can be wildly varied and a lot of fun, particularly when playing online.
Giving Yourself the Best Chance of Success with Classic Slots
- Before placing a bet, make sure you are well-versed in the rules of that particular slot machine. Make sure you know what the effects are of betting differing amounts, what symbols you need to match to win what prizes, whether any bonuses apply and, obviously, the size of the payout. Try and determine what combination is best for your purposes.
- If you’ve decided to play a classic slot with a progressive winning structure, it will be in your best interest to bet the game maximum. Betting the maximum ensures that each spin you have access to all of the game and prize features, improving your odds of actually winning something. Progressive machines usually have lower spin-by-spin rewards too, so your target should be to take home the jackpot.
- Play the bet size that you can afford. Especially with classic slots, your gaming experience spin by spin can be limited. If you can’t afford to play the machine maximum, rather look for a cheaper machine where you can.
- Take your time, when playing. Rushing doesn’t help you and may mean you miss important information on your spins.
- Always set a maximum for how much you are willing to lose. When that number is reached, walk away.
- Whether you prefer to play your classic slots online or on land, there are usually rewards associated with consistent play. Thus, once you have found a casino that you enjoy, look into what rewards they offer and look to take advantage of that.
Where Should You Play Classic Slots?
Classic Slots is an easy way of dipping your toe into the gambling world. As a game, it requires very little skill and can be quite lucrative. Despite its old-school feel, classic slots remain a staple of online casinos, with a variety of themes and bonus features included on top of your traditional fruit slots. When choosing an online casino, always make sure your casino has the following:
- No download. Download files are large and cumbersome and prevent you from playing with freedom. Look for casinos that can be played through your browser.
- Free to play options. It is always best to familiarize yourself with the game style and betting structure before making a real money deposit. Never be afraid to play for free when getting to know the ropes, even if you consider yourself an experienced gamer.
- Deposit bonuses. When you do decide to play with real money, try and do so at an online casino that rewards you for making your first deposit. It will be a huge help to your starting stack.