Casino Payment Methods
Choosing an online casino payment method is one of the most important parts of ensuring you have an enjoyable online casino experience. No one wants to spend their time worrying about how they’re going to deposit or withdraw their money from an online casino, they want to enjoy the great range of games and bonuses on offer!
When choosing an online casino payment method, there are a number of things you should review. The first thing to consider is how popular the method is. If it is accepted at a number of online casinos, you’ll have no trouble making deposits or withdrawals, no matter what site you choose. However, if it is only accepted at one or two casinos, you limit your potential option.
Another important thing to consider is transfer speed. Ideally, you want a method that offers instant deposits and fast withdrawals. This means you can start playing at your chosen online casino right away and won’t have to wait around to receive your winnings.
Finally, the other major factor to consider when choosing your casino payment method is the fees. Some sites will charge fees for depositing or withdrawing with a certain method, so it’s best to avoid these wherever possible.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Different Casino Payment Methods
Now that we’ve gotten an overview of online casino payment methods, let’s look at some of the most popular options. We’ll be taking a look at the key advantages and disadvantages of each one to give you the insight you need to pick the right one for your online casino needs.
- Debit Cards. Debit cards are one of the most secure ways to deposit or withdraw at an online casino. Both Visa and MasterCard, the world’s most popular debit card issuers, implement high-tech security and protection measures to ensure your funds and data remain secure when gambling online. Many online casino sites do not charge fees for depositing or withdrawing with debit cards, meaning you get to keep 100% of your winnings. You also get instant deposits, so you can start gaming immediately. However, one area where debit cards are slightly let down is their withdrawal times. Depending on the casino, it can take anywhere from 1-5 business days to receive your withdrawal, considerably slower than some options.
- E-Wallets. Arguably one of the best payment methods for online casino transactions is e-wallets. They offer high levels of security, as not only do the e-wallet companies provide in-built security features, but you can make deposits and withdrawals without giving your bank details to the site. This means you’re less exposed in the event that your details are compromised. They also offer extremely fast deposit and withdrawal times, with many withdrawals hitting your account in under 24 hours — by far the quickest of any of the alternative methods. One downside is that there are a handful of casinos that will charge fees for depositing or withdrawing with e-wallets, but those are in the minority and can be easily avoided.
- Bank Transfers. Another popular way to deposit and withdraw at an online casino is via bank transfer. Almost all online casinos offer bank transfers as a withdrawal option, but not every site offers deposits via bank transfer. However, those offering bank transfer deposits commonly offer it through instant banking methods such as Trustly. These methods offer a fast and secure way to deposit and withdraw via bank transfer. You can even receive your withdrawal within 24 hours! This is much faster than a conventional bank transfer, which can take up to seven working days to process.
Deposit Options, Withdrawal Fees and Limits
As you can see, there are a number of pros and cons to choosing any online casino payment method, so the decision comes down to what you’re looking for from a transaction method. Many players consider three main things when picking their method: deposit options, withdrawal charges, and transfer limits.
You want it to be available at a number of different casinos, as this provides you with options when choosing your online casino site. You never want any withdrawal fees, as you want to keep 100% of your winnings. Plus, you don’t want to be restricted by low maximum deposit limits or high minimum withdrawal limits. Let’s take a closer look at each one.
- Deposit Limits — The most popular online casino payment methods you’ll find are debit cards and e-wallets. These are accepted at almost every major online casino for deposits and withdrawals. Many sites also offer bank transfers as a withdrawal option, but deposit methods aren’t as common. Methods such as credit cards are banned in the UK as of 2020, as the government cracked down on people gambling with credit.
- Withdrawal Fees — Many online casinos do not charge withdrawal fees for any method, allowing you to choose the one you prefer. However, some sites will charge a 1-3% fee, depending on how much it costs them to process the transaction. This is most commonly seen on debit cards and e-wallet withdrawals, but they’re very rare at most online casino sites. Some sites will even charge a standard fee for all withdrawals, but these sites are in the minority.
- Limits — You’ll find that real money casinos will implement minimum and maximum deposit and withdrawal limits on their site. The minimum deposit and withdrawal limits are often very low — between £5-£10 on average. However, the maximum limits will depend on your transaction method. Debit cards and bank transfers often have the highest maximum limits of around £10000. The maximum limits for deposits and withdrawals will vary from casino to casino. You’ll also find that some casinos will limit the number of deposits or withdrawals you can make in a certain time frame, such as a day, a week, or a month. All this information will be clearly displayed on their site as you deposit.
Minimum Deposit Casino Payment Methods
One of the great things about casino payment methods is that they all cater to low-budget players. There are no transaction methods that enforce a high minimum deposit on its users, so you’re free to pick the way to cover the finances that work best for you.
However, some online casinos will try to force players into using their preferred transaction method by implementing high minimum deposits on others. In these situations, you’ll most commonly find bank transfers have a higher minimum deposit than other methods.
But, if the casino has the same minimum deposit amount for all methods, you can choose the one that best suits you.
Casino Payment Methods for High Rollers
If you’re on the other end of the spectrum and want to pick the payment methods that offer the biggest options, you have a couple of choices. The two methods most frequently offer the highest deposit limits are debit cards and bank transfers. The most common maximum deposit for these methods is around £10000, compared to £5000 for most e-wallets.
However, this may vary from casino to casino, so always remember to check the maximum limits of your chosen site before you sign up and deposit.
Popular Casino Payment Methods
Now that we know a little more about what you should be looking for from an online casino payment method let’s look at the most popular options on the market.
Debit & Credit Cards
Visa Electron is a debit card offered by issuing banks round the world that uses the Visa system. As an online casino payment method, Visa Electron offers convenient and secure deposit and withdrawal options at a number of online casinos, making it a great choice for UK players. However, Visa Electron will be discontinued in 2024 and replaced by Visa Debit.
Visa Cards are more or less the same as MasterCard, and they are one of the most popular banking methods since they are widely available in almost all countries.
**Take note, however that there are instances where you’ll be required to confirm with the bank whether there are any restrictions imposed on the card, such as using it to make payments at casinos. Also, you’ll be required to provide a PIN and password as well as a security code just as a way of exerting extra protection on your cards.
You can easily make your deposits using MasterCard in casino at any website that supports this method of payment. This is one of the most common methods, and your local banks surely issue the cards.
This is a popular credit card issued by MasterCard. It’s approximated that there are over 500 million users who have this card with them and use it to make payments at online casinos.
eWallets & Prepaid Cards
Another popular online casino payment method is e-wallets. This type is extremely fast and convenient, allowing you to make a number of casino deposits and withdrawals in a short space of time. Another benefit of e-wallets is that many of them support cryptocurrency, giving you even more options. There are a number of e-wallet options that allow you to securely make online casino payments, so let’s take a closer look.
Paysafecard is a way to use cash to make online payments. To use it, you buy a prepaid voucher and enter the 16-digit PIN when making an online payment. You can use Paysafecard anonymously, or you can create an account to be able to manage your payments online. Whilst they offer fast and secure deposits, many sites do not allow withdrawals to Paysafecard, and the maximum deposit limits are significantly lower than other methods.
MuchBetter is an online e-wallet that allows you to make online casino transactions without providing your bank or card details. Simply create a MuchBetter account, fund your e-wallet, and then use your MuchBetter e-wallet when making online casino transactions. You receive fast and secure deposits and withdrawals when using MuchBetter, with many withdrawals processed within 24 hours.
Another prepaid card, similar to Paysafecard, Neosurf allows you to turn cash into online casino transactions. Simply purchase a NeoSurf voucher from your nearest retailer and enter the security pin code when making your online casino deposit. You can even purchase your NeoSurf voucher online if you wish. While this t method offers customers extremely secure deposits, you cannot withdraw to NeoSurf, and the maximum deposit limits are very low.
PayPal is a familiar name across the globe as it is the method that people use to make payments for most of the consumer goods online. While it’s managed to flourish in this sector, it’s yet to take full force in the industry and only opts to work with a few PayPal Casinos. However, once it becomes a common name in the industry, players are bound to benefit from its friendly charges and player protection policy!
Formerly known as Moneybookers, Skrill is perhaps one of the companies that have made a name for itself in this industry. It’s known for its fast and secure payments, as well as the flexibility of allowing deposits as low as €10. Players in Europe widely use it.
This is the main competitor for Skrill online though it’s not as popular as the method mentioned above. Why? Most people don’t like it as they might argue that it has high limits and fees on all the payments its processes.
Formerly known as EcoCard, ecoPayz is owned by PSI-PAY Ltd, a British company that has a long history of offering secure payment methods. ecoPayz also offers eWallet services through ecoAccount, which you can also use as one of the online casino deposit methods.
One payment method that’s started to see a comeback in recent years is bank transfer. A few years ago, no casino player wanted to use bank transfers as they were painfully slow and required you to hand over your bank details directly to your online casino. Many people saw this as a major security risk, as if their casino accounts are compromised, hackers may be able to access private bank account information.
However, with modern instant-banking tools such as Trustly, many of those concerns are no longer an issue! These methods offer lightning-fast deposits and withdrawals, rivalling those of e-wallets. Plus, you no longer have to give your online casino your bank details, as the transactions are facilitated by secure companies, such as Trustly.
New and Emerging Casino Payment Methods
But what about the latest casino payment methods, what can they bring to the table? Can they use the latest technology to disrupt the financial industry and revolutionise online casino payments?
Revolut is what’s called a neobank — a bank that operates exclusively online to bring down the running costs, which it can then pass on to its users. When you sign up for Revolut, you’re given a virtual card which you can use to make transaction online. You can even order a physical card to be sent for you. When using Revolut, it behaves exactly like a debit card — you need to have funds in your account to use it. This system offers fast and secure online casino payments and does not charge a fee for online casino transactions.
Like Revolut, Klarna is an online financial services company that gives you a digital debit card that you can use to make online payments. It is slowly being accepted at a number of online casinos, allowing for quick and easy online casino payments. Moreover, many sites do not charge fees for using Klarna for withdrawals or deposits.
Mobile Casino Payment Methods
Many people don’t need a wallet anymore as they make all their transactions from their mobile phones.
Google Pay is a mobile service that allows users to make in-person and online payments via their cards. Google Pay does not hold any currency itself, rather, it’s a place to store and use your card details for easy use.
Apple Pay is Apple’s answer to Google Pay. It works in the same way, only it’s been designed to work for Apple devices. It allows users to make online payments via cards stored in their Apple Pay wallet. Similar to Google Pay, you cannot store currency in your Apple Pay wallet, as it is purely a place to store your card details.
Cross-Border Casino Payment Methods
If you want to move your money internationally, one of the best casino payment options at your disposal is cryptocurrency. While multiple cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, aren’t accepted at most UK casinos due to restrictions from the government, it is accepted internationally. Cryptocurrency is a peer-to-peer method that does not rely on an independent authority to facilitate its payments. It offers lightning-fast withdrawal times and, depending on the cryptocurrency you use, incredibly low fees.
Casino Account Verification and KYC Procedure
Once you’ve signed up for an online casino, one of the most important things you need to do is verify your account. Many operators require you to complete KYC or “Know Your Customer” checks before you can deposit or withdraw from the site, so it’s best to complete this as early as possible.
When verifying your account, you will be asked to provide two types of documentation, proof of address and proof of ID. For your proof of address verification, you will need an official document that has the same address as the one you used when signing up for your account. Examples of the kind of document you can provide include a utility bill, bank account statement, or council tax bill.
For your proof of ID verification, you must supply a copy or picture of a valid form of identification in the UK. Examples include a driver’s licence, passport or national identity card. Some companies will also require you to take a live picture to verify your identity.
The easiest way to get your account verified is to send your documentation to your casino’s support email. Once they’ve received and validated your documentation, your account will be verified, and you’ll be free to deposit and withdraw.
What is the fastest casino payment method?
Many casino payment methods offer instant deposits, but the transaction methods offering the fastest withdrawals are e-wallets and instant-bank transfers. When using these methods, you’ll often receive your funds in less than 24 hours.
What is the most popular type of casino payment method?
There are a number of popular casino payment methods used by UK punters every single day. However, the ones that stand above the rest are debit cards and e-wallets. These are the most secure and convenient methods, often requiring little to no fees, making them a favourite amongst UK players.
Can players use e-wallets and prepaid cards to withdraw their winnings?
As a UK casino player, you can withdraw your winnings to e-wallets, but many online casinos do not allow players to withdraw what they won to prepaid cards.
Do all online casinos accept debit card payments?
While there may be one or two online casinos that don’t accept debit cards, the vast majority of them do. This is because debit card payments are amongst the most popular ways for UK players to make online casino deposits and withdrawals.
Can you use credit cards to make online casino transactions?
No, in 2020, the UK banned using credit cards for online casino transactions. Since then, the use of credit cards has been heavily regulated, and they are no longer an option for UK players looking to make online casino deposits or withdrawals.