Gambling has a deep rooted existence in Italy, ever since the ancient Roman times. In fact, the popular games of bingo, baccarat and backgammon, as well as the word “casino” itself hail from an Italian origin. However, Italy Casinos & Gambling laws have been through extreme prohibitions in the past, more or less banning gambling; and it was not until 2006, that things started to liberalize, majorly with the advent of online casinos.
Today, only a few land-based establishments in Italy have made it past the regulations and cater to foreigners as well as native gamers, operating under legalized terms of the Italian Government.
Meanwhile, the online gambling scene has consistently changed at large into a steadily regulated, practica,l and filtrated proceeding. This has exemplified the ideals of healthy gambling propaganda, staging some of the best Italy casinos online and establishing the country, as one of the largest markets for online gambling before the entire world casino.
Legislative Timeline and Parameters of Modern Italian Gambling
- Modern History of Italian GamblingThe liberalization of gambling in Italy, speculated from 2003, which was finally initiated from the year 2006, with respect to online gambling as well. Moving forward from a stringent prohibition, to a streamlined regulation, the Italian Government, operating via its authorized administrator, Autonomous Administration of the State Monopolies (AAMS), isolated and legalized skill based gambling like, sport betting, horse racing and live lotteries from that of total luck oriented gambling like slot gaming, that were still prohibited. This was upgraded by the roll out of the Finance Act in 2007 that won the legislation that legalized skill based card games, notably, poker.Finally, the 2010 amendment to the former legislation included real money skill based games like, solitaire poker tournaments, bingo cash poker. By 2011 and 2012 the final nomenclature included real money slot games, a number of table games, thus revolutionizing the gambling scenario in Italy incredibly.
- The New ParametersThe newly and rapidly proclaimed liberations are competently outlined by practical regulations and conditions levied on both land based and online casinos. According to the AAMS guidelines, all casinos operating in Italy should mandatorily have the definite licenses authorized by the country. If you are playing at any international EUR casinos or even offshore casinos, it is not illegal, but highly recommended that you judge by its license, given that it is clearly mentioned in the website’s main page. If any casino is not permitted by the Italian Law, then you will simply not be able to register in there.
- Responsible GamblingThe Italian Government still values discouraging any negative impact of gambling, especially on youngsters, and that’s why you will find a number of awareness campaigns, social messages, even school programs to encourage responsible gaming and reduce potential blind influence of the sport on young minds as well as people in general.
Online Gambling Market in Italy Post Freedom and Liberalization
With the new and flexible reformation for online casinos, including mobile casinos, Italy has seemingly skyrocketed as one of the most opportunistic establishments in the world. Rudimentarily, when there was a time that “luck oriented” gambling would be banned in the country, today; the most iconic luck based game— slot gaming— is the largest contributing network to the total revenue in Italian gambling industry.
The popularity of online real money slot gaming have dramatically impacted a wild growth of up to 80%, in a matter of few years. This in turn, has proven to cause a considerate decline to the revenue of former legal “skill games” like horse racing and poker. The new reformations have given rise to increased competition amongst companies.
Countries and Language: You will find a lot of international casinos operating under AAMS license for catering Italian gamers, as well as players from world over. Italian casino sites would cater to European regions mainly. Usually, Italian casino goes through a registration process that identifies countries, if the player from a restricted country tries to register, they will simply be turned down. Offshore casinos would accept Italian players, along with Swedish, Finnish, British and Russian countries. These sites would support at least two languages, Italian and English, and can also support Swedish, Spanish, French, German and Russian.
Currency: The main currencies accepted and paid would in Euro and Pounds; this might also include Krona, and US Dollars.
Software: One of the main features for online casinos to get a pass in Italy is that they will include games only by reputed and leading game developers, like Netent, Microgaming and Evolution. These are the giants when it comes to fair and secure casinos, and will optimize the reliability quotient of the hosting casino site.
Online Payment Options: The Best Italy Casinos Online would support diverse options for online payment, this would include credit card, debit cards, Paypal, eWallets like Neteller and Skrill and many others, as well as Wire Transfer. Electronic payment is highly encouraged for you can more stringently keep track of your payments.
Certified Italian Online Casinos
It is easier to find an “Italian accepted online casino” than an online casino of Italian origin. Usually, European and offshore casinos with an Italian version make sense, given the condition that those casinos will get a formal AAMS licensing. Most of these websites would be multilingual and accept Euros as their primary currency and have an active and fast responsive customer support.
If you are a beginner, then consider a thorough research about the background of the chosen casino. It is easier to find the license and all details about legal credentials, but you must also consider revising the payment options, minimum deposit, betting options, payout percentages and casino winning taxation. Check out the elaborated casino reviews available on the internet, for better insight.
Here are some of the most famous Italian casinos for your research.
- Star Casino ItalyThe Star Casino Italy origin is rooted in Malta, but its dedicated Italian AAMS Certified website targets native gamers as its audience and operates in Italian language only. However, its chat and email support do speak English. Star Casino features a wide collection Slot Machines games, as the focal attraction, other than that, Italian gamers can have a ball, with the wide availability of Virtual Gaming and Real Dealer Live Gaming with table games, Blackjack, Roulette, and Baccarat, there is also a decent selection of Video Poker games. You can get an impressive welcome bonus worth up to 200%, or €100, free spins of slots, and added promotional bonuses.
- Star Vegas ItalyStar Vegas Casino aims to provide a fun and exciting gambling experience to Italians, via its world standard gaming platform that supports only Italian language. The casino is regulated by AAMS and features casinos by world-renowned and reputed developers, including Novomatic, Evolution, Greentube, and Kambi each of them holding a license for operation in Italy. The casino features a definite set of options, for online slots, real dealer live casinos with Roulette, Blackjack and Baccarat and Sports Betting. You can access both web-based wagering, or download the software. Star Vegas Italy offers a €20 welcome bonus, with zero deposit, and 100% real money bonus, worth up to €200.
- Betway ItalyBetway Italy is a Microgaming casino site featuring a well audited diverse games including an endless list of high-end online slot machine games and latest additions; live dealer games of roulette, blackjack and video poker. Its’ part of the international company of Betway Inc. based in Malta and holds a license for operation in Italy, that includes an endorsement seal by eCOGRA. However, it doesn’t clearly have an AAMS license, or other. Playing on this site is not illegal, and given the provision of the best and secure and Italy licensed games by Microgaming, it is a decent place to enjoy online gambling. Betway Italy offers a bulky welcome bonus €1,000 for first 3 deposits, added up to 25 no deposit free spins, and with the first deposit, you can get 75 free spins. You can also get a 100% real money bonus worth up to €250.
- VideoSlotsCatering to a staggering market for online slot games, Video Slots streamlines on the most high-end slot gaming experience for Italian players that features a vast collection of games by reputed software companies including Playtech, Microgaming, WagerLogic, Rival, PlaynGo and many more. Video slots is licensed by Curaçao eGaming, Malta Gaming Authority and the UK Gambling Commission, and is a safe and secure online casino to enjoy the best of online slots. The website does not support Italian, but includes English, Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish languages. It has a dedicated 24/7/365 live chat facility, as well as phone and email service. It offers a %100 welcome bonus worth up to €200, and €10 real money bonus on your first deposit.
- 888 Italy888 is one of the largest online casinos, in the world, and most recognized and trusted among gambling enthusiasts in Italy. The dedicated Italian webpage is written in Italian language and scopes an ample opportunity to get your hands on some of the high-end online slot machine games and “richest” progressive jackpots. Punters will notice that despite the dominion posed by online slot gaming in the Italian gambling scene, this site has a rather moderate collection of slot games, and elaborates on the classic casino games of roulette and blackjack, sports betting and live dealer games. 888 Italy is licensed under AAMS and operates as one of the most plausible online gambling platforms in the country. The primary currency used in there is Euros. The casino features a staggering 125% welcome bonus worth up to €500, and a jaw-dropping 88 free spins to go with it. These static bonuses are added with sundry promotional and surprise bonuses, notably, the Moody Monday that offers up to 20%bonus worth €50, plus your monthly wagering, would be rewarded by staggering bonuses, ranging from €25 to €150.
Taxation on Casino Winning in Italy
The good news is that casino winnings in Italy, for both land and online casinos are tax-free for punters. Given the long past history, and a conservative approach the country reserves for gambling, this is a rather bold move. Whereas the casino establishment does pay a 1% Governmental tax on total revenue, that is relative to every business in general. The casino where you have won real money will typically levy a withdrawal tax that will be a nominal percentage of your winning amount.
The Future That Seems
At the moment, the Italy Casino & Gambling sector is going through its heydays, with a very organized and well-managed system. Italian gamers can have access to some of the world’s best online casinos, with secure and beneficial terms. So the near future would be to have a reformation to carry forward this system for better, and as of now, Italy is one of the largest stakeholders, in the world casino market, and the second largest in Europe, after the UK. The future holds great potentials for growth and development for Italian gambling, in Europe and overseas.
This is mandated with the plausible outcome for gamers, practicing the right measures to play at well established and licensed casinos, and isolating malicious practices. Responsible gaming is another attribute that should be valued. Have a safe and pleasurable gambling experience in Italy.