Whenever we watch a film, it is common to see everyone dressed in an elegant suit at gambling establishments. However, many people don’t know that the situation is quite different. So, choosing the proper clothing to wear to a casino can be challenging for new gamblers in Australia. That is where we come in, as we will provide a detailed guide on the casino attire you can wear in Aussieland, so you pack the appropriate apparel beforehand.
Does the Dress Code Vary Amongst Casinos?
Ever since the first casino in Australia launched, plenty has changed – including the outfits. Before you visit any gambling place in Australia, you have to check its website and see what the dress code is. Different betting houses have unique clothing policy rules, so you should be prepared. However, there are some broad clothing guidelines you can follow. They will help you narrow your search on what to wear and avoid. By following these guidelines, you will most certainly not commit any serious faux pas. We will cover this aspect in more detail below.
Are Shorts Allowed in Casino?
As Australia is inherently a hot place, your first and logical question will surely be – are shorts allowed in casino? Well, men and women are best advised to avoid wearing shorts, sandals, athletic wear – any outfit that may seem too revealing.
There are some cases of shorts being allowed in betting clubs during the daytime, but at night, you certainly won’t be able to enter an establishment if you wear them.
If you prefer to gamble online, you have nothing to worry about, as you can access the best online casino Australia in a completely relaxed outfit. Still, the situation is different with land-based establishments.
How Should You Dress at Casinos?
Depending on what your style is, you will be surprised to see that you have several options that we can group into different categories.
Casual Dress Code
Casual looks are very popular, so you have tons of options for your casino outfits here:
- Men: T-shirts and jeans are okay, with generally no limitations on the colours you can wear.
- Women: Sundresses and jeans are more than fine as your casino attire if you want to look casual.
If you want to take it up a notch when visiting a gambling place in Australia, then worry not, you have an even wider choice of casino clothes:
- Men: Trousers are okay if you want to look semi-formal, with a suit not out of the question. It doesn’t have to be a tuxedo, though.
- Women: Cocktail dresses and skirts are acceptable, with heels, sandals, and flats all being okay. Prefer darker colours during night visits.
Business Casual Attire
This dress code implies a neat and polished appearance that is neither overly formal nor too casual. The options are the following:
- Men: Sports coats and blazers work fine here. Alongside those, you can choose polo shirts or collared shirts, but avoid wearing sneakers here.
- Women: A collared shirt, blouse, or jumper will be perfect for business casual casino attire.
Black Tie Attire
Now, this is the stuff that you see in James Bond movies, so the options for you to wear to a casino here are:
- Men: White button-down collared shirt, black dinner jacket, a tie, and formal black shoes are a must.
- Women: Classic design dresses with heels are required.
White Tie Attire
On the other side of the spectrum, we have the white tie code, which is the most formal dressing format in Australian casinos:
- Men: White shirt with a bib, black tail jacket, matching trousers and black shoes.
- Women: Preferably floor-length gowns, with white gloves being a nice touch.
Lastly, no betting place in Australia would forbid you to wear business formal attire:
- Men: A dark suit and a collared button-down shirt are preferred with formal shoes.
- Women: Blouses and evening jackets are more than fine here, with casual shoes and not too shiny jewellery.
What Attire Is Inappropriate?
Now you know what gaming clothing you can wear at most casinos in Australia, but which outfits to avoid? Some general options that we can mention here are:
- Don’t wear flip-flops;
- Never put on damaged, dirty or torn clothes;
- After sundown, avoid shorts or too casual shirts.
Special Dress Code at Australian Casinos
Now, let’s put everything mentioned above in a few practical examples. Some gambling establishments in Australia have different dress code ideas, so further, we’ll see how they compare.
Crown Casino in Melbourne
If you visit Crown in Melbourne, you need to know that you have to dress smartly casual and remain tidy. The staff may additionally require you to remove your hat, helmet, or headdress. Unclean, untidy and torn outfits are not allowed here, with active sporting attire, camouflage clothing and shirts with offensive slogans also falling in this category.
Crown Casino in Perth
Moving on, the minimum dress standard for Crown in Perth is neat casual, and you also have to wear footwear at all times. Visible offensive tattoos, sporting gear, bandanas, and messy and torn outfits are just some of the styles you have to avoid if you wish to enter the Crown.
The Star Casino in Sydney
The minimum dress standard here is smart casual, which means that while formal attire is not required, a certain level of neatness and appropriateness is expected. We all know the highest paying jobs in a casino industry, but there is a special personnel in place that can forbid you from entering the establishment if you don’t have fitting clothes.
Guidelines for Proper Casino Attire
Before finishing this article, we want to offer you some practical tips that can be useful when visiting a wagering venue in Australia. Following them, you can rest assured that you are always dressed for the occasion:
- Dress comfortably;
- Coordinate your style with your company;
- Always check the dress code in detail;
- Find inspiration online.
Casino Clothing: Final Thoughts
Overall, we believe that you can now see the importance of choosing the right casino outfit for your gaming adventure at any establishment in Australia. Sure, you may need to make a few exemptions from your general style, but there is more than enough choice for you to feel comfortable, as looking good on the casino floor will boost your confidence as you wouldn’t imagine.